Remember me? It’s been a couple of weeks since my last post, but I swear I have a good reason. I got a new job!! On August 1st I started as an Associate Editor at Entrepreneur.com . I’ve very excited to be working full time again, and I’m really enjoying it so far (I must know what I’m doing with this whole blogging thing, since a large part of my job is editing their blog!).
Of course this change in my schedule means that I probably won’t be posting here as much, but I love having an outlet for some of my many Katastrophic Thoughts, so I’ll try to make and stick to a revised posting schedule. I’m thinking twice a week is probably doable.
Anyways, aside from the new job, I’ve been pretty busy enjoying life:
1) I have crossed TWO more Life Long Goals off my list
I took a 5 week sewing class at Brooklyn Yarn Cafe, and learned to make a tote bag, pajama pants, an apron, and a skirt. I even bought a sewing machine and have been doing a few simple things, I’m by no means even intermediate, but I know how to sew a little now.
this is the skirt I made!
I also FINALLY convinced Mark to ride a bicycle built for two–we rented one on Govenor’s Island, but another couple stole it from us and we almost missed our chance–until Mark said “but it’s her life long dream!” It was fun, but it turns out tandem bikes (or at least this one) are inherently sexist–the woman HAS to ride in the back (talk about a metaphor on wheels) I will now make it my person mission to have this injustice rectified.
another life long dream–check!
2) I participated in The Great Urban Race, it’s a large scale scavenger hunt all around the city–nearly 900 people competed. My team was the “Pre-existing Conditions,” it was disappointing compared to years pass since two of the clues were printed wrong leading all of those 900 people to the wrong locations (this is why editors are so important!) and a lot of the challenges were more about the sponsors’ products than mental or physical challenges.
Our Team: Shawna, me, Mark and Bryan: Pre-existing Conditions
It was still a fun day, and even though we finished in a not so great time, we won 64th place which because of a deal with a sponsor who I am not getting paid to name, means we could go to the national championship in Las Vegas (if we pay for ourselves…so no thanks). Since the race hasn’t owned up to or apologized for how they botched this year’s race, I think this might be our last year.
3) I attended my first roller derby! It was a double header starting with the Men’s team the New York Shock Exchange vs. some team from St. Louis that won, and then the main event: the Brooklyn Bombshells vs. the Bronx Gridlock. I loved it! I made a sign and cheered and had a fantastic time. The Boombshells won, and we plan to go see them in the League Championship in October. Also I may be adding another life long dream to my list: Becoming a Roller Derby Jeerleader
4) I’ve been teaching yoga in the park. I’m teaching open level donation based Vinyasa classes in Prospect Park every Sunday afternoon in August at 3pm. If you are in the city, click the link for all the details. I’m donating all the money to the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign.
5) I’ve been doing lots of other fun New York City summer stuff, including seeing Into the Woods at Shakespeare in the Park in Central Park. It was the best play I’ve seen in recent memory, if you are in the city, brave the early morning lines and get FREE tickets!
We also got our wedding pictures back–more on that over on the wedding planning blog eventually, but in the meantime here’s one.